Friday, February 19, 2010

Thankful Thursdays

My dear friend Christina has Thankful Thursdays over on her blog at Story of Judson. Here are some of her thoughts on thankfulness:

Over and over again the Lord impresses upon my heart the power of gratitude to reshape and transform my heart. I have come to believe that the degree to which we are grateful can serve as a barometer for our soul. That in fact, our level of thankfulness can forecast short term changes in our outlook on life and personal circumstances.

In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. -- 1 Thessalonians 5:18

We are called to gratitude again and again in Scripture, which I have come to embrace as God graciously inviting me into sweeter life. A life of gratitude acknowledges that all I have is a gift, right down to my every breath, and bows before the Giver of all – correspondingly enabling contentment whatever my situation. But sometimes, especially when my circumstances are difficult, gratitude has required discipline; it is like a muscle I need to exercise by consciously and methodically bowing my heart in thanksgiving.

I've decided to join her as she chooses to practice gratefulness, and I hope you will, too! I'll try to post a thankful blog each Thursday. Here's what I've been grateful for recently:


- I'm thankful for a great field trip last Wednesday with my 4th grade students to Mission San Juan Capistrano. It is a beautiful place- I kind of want to move there, actually. The old wood, brick, arches, flowers, fountains- all lovely. My students were so well behaved, too! We had a lot of fun together, and I think they may have learned a thing or two.













- I'm feeling hopeful for this next year of my life, and that is something that I definitely don't want to take for granted.

- Every so often, my sister calls and sings me an impromptu song on my voicemail. Sunday's was a singing Valentine, and it made me smile. I think she likes me.

- My roommate just blesses me over and over again. Within just a short time span last Friday afternoon, we had a great conversation, she made me laugh out loud multiple times, and then we sat in comfortable silence for most of the drive up to Santa Barbara. I know that this type of companionship is not easily found and is such a sweet gift.

Thank you, Jesus, for these good gifts!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful for you, dear Laura, and your words encouraging thankfulness in us all. It's a choice we can all make every moment. I'm also thankful it's FRIDAY! Sorry for the shout. Mom

    ReplyDelete